Enrolling in a new vision insurance plan can be confusing. These six questions and answers will help you feel confident that enrolling in a VSP vision insurance plan is a great choice for you and your family.
Vision Insurance Question 1: Do I really need vision coverage?
Vision insurance isn't just for people who need to wear glasses! An annual eye exam is an important part of maintaining your overall health, even if you aren’t noticing any vision problems. When you become a VSP member, you can stay healthy, save money, and look great.
Vision Insurance Question 2: What’s a doctor network?
Finding a doctor you love—or keeping your current doctor—is important! With VSP, most members have access to five VSP network doctors within five miles of where they live or work. When you see an in-network doctor, you’ll get more out of your vision coverage and can count on low out-of-pocket costs and take advantage of exclusive member-only offers on contacts, sunglasses, lens enhancements, and more.
Vision Insurance Question 3: Do I get a comprehensive eye exam?
Each VSP plan provides access to a yearly eye exam that’s more than just a vision screening. All VSP network doctors perform a WellVision Exam, which is a comprehensive eye exam that not only evaluates your vision, but also checks for general health conditions that can be detected through the retina like diabetes, high blood pressure, and high cholesterol.
Vision Insurance Question 4: How do I use my vision plan benefit?
Getting started with a VSP Vision Plan is easy! After you enroll with your employer during your open enrollment period you can:
- Create an account on vsp.com, where you can review your personalized plan details and eligibility.
- Find a doctor who's in network and conveniently located near you.
- Schedule your appointment! There's no ID card required; however, if you'd like to download or print your Member Vision Card, simply log in to your account on vsp.com.
Vision Insurance Question 5: What’s a frame allowance?
Whether you like classic or sporty frames, VSP can help you find your perfect pair at a price that will make you happy. A frame allowance is the amount covered by your vision insurance and VSP members get an Extra $20 to spend on top of their frame allowance when they choose a featured frame brand. If you prefer to shop online and in-network, Eyeconic.com syncs with your VSP benefits.
Vision Insurance Question 6: How can I get a VSP vision plan?
There are a few different ways to become a VSP member:
- Enroll through your employer. Ask your employer if they offer a VSP vision plan, or if they offer a plan when you retire. Enroll during your open enrollment and during any qualifying life events, such as marriage, baby, or job change.
- Need coverage you can buy on your own? If your vision plan coverage is ending soon, you can enroll in an individual vision plan or family plan. Get a vision insurance plan quote now.
If you have additional questions about VSP benefits and savings, visit our VSP Individual Vision Plans FAQ page or call our VSP Customer Service team at 800.785.0699.
At the end of each year we often have a renewed commitment to our future health. We are full of energy and excited to start new projects, buckle dow...
When your eyes are healthy and cared for, you see the difference in your overall health. Healthy vision can significantly improve your performance a...